Wind Mitigation Assessment
Florida Statutes require home insurers to give Florida homeowners discounts or credits for features that reduce damage & loss in windstorms.
Wind Mitigation Report
(Uniform Mitigation Verification Inspection – UMVI)
- New home construction since 3/1/2002
- Roof covering replacement since 3/1/2002
- Various credits are available for how the roof deck is nailed to trusses or rafters
- The presence of hurricane clips or straps that secure the trusses to the exterior walls
- Self adhered underlayment on entire roof deck
- Hip roof
- Hurricane shutters covering every window and door
The 4-page UMVI form must include photos verifying credits and be completed by a licensed individual. Craig Howard has prepared hundreds of the forms and is very familiar with the photo requirements.
As few as 2 or 3 of the credits will frequently save a couple of hundred dollars per year in premium discounts. Call for an appointment and we can discuss whether your home would likely qualify for some discounts.
of existing homes already qualify for savings.
Nearly 90 % of existing homes have one or more wind mitigating design features and already qualify for significant discounts. Building design and installation features that reduce wind damage include: better designed roof shingles, stronger roof construction, hurricane clips/straps, hurricane resistant windows or shutter protection for windows, roof shape and other construction techniques.